Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Messengers of God

The following is the poem I wrote for my parents on their 25th anniversary:


One day when the future seemed bleak,

And the southern skies were overcast,

I dragged my feet in the sand,

Begrudging what was to come,

And cursing what had taken place,

‘Oh God! Have you forgotten me?’

I cried, loud enough to stir the birds out of trees,

Thus lamenting, I walked on,

Then I saw you out on the beach waiting for me,

But I, ever the sad, waved you away,

And still drudged along my way,

Casting deep marks in the sand behind.

Once again I cried pointing upwards,

‘You have forsaken me!’

A cry stopped me from behind,

It was you that cried,

‘Son, wait for us. Let us help you!’

To which I foolishly replied,

‘It’s a matter between me and my God, you can’t do anything!’

And I walked ahead, a little faster it seemed,

Until I reached the end of the beach,

If indeed anything of such kind exists,

There I stood for a long time.

And then, at last walked into the water,

Mindful of what I had now decided,

And lo behold! I felt a hand on my shoulder,

Warm yet cold, soft yet hard,

Hands that were lined with years of care and love,

I looked behind to see Him standing there.

He just smiled and said,

‘I never forsake you; I was there all the time,

You didn’t just see me. Look.’

There you were, standing, smiling,

And it became clear to me,

To whom I was refusing to,

Messengers of God.

No comments: