Friday, May 07, 2010

Eternal Battle

I take a walk on the beach, leaving footprints in the sand,

That make a line that stretches as far as the eye can see.

They follow not a straight path, rather a zigzag one, one that bypasses obstacles.

Tired of the friction of the sand under my feet, I sit, looking out to the sea.


The waves fascinate me, rolling away, white frothy foam, making strange shapes.

Some like a herd of wild buffaloes, some like white riders on the helm charging,

Knights with long white spears, and white shields, blinding as they come.

I look up in the sky, to see a riot of clouds, coming together to form strange shapes.

Like grayish castles, up and beyond my reach.



The scene soon melts into one, the sky and the sea,

the castle up away, a targeted place, attacked by the riders on the wave.

But alas for the riders they cannot reach, the castle up in the air, grayish and black,

Stretching up in as far as the eyes can see, far beyond the reach they seem.


A salty taste hits my lips, looking up I see the damsels in the castle,

Locked up by cruel masters, weep, for their knights in shining armor,

If they died they would be free, free like the wind,

But now instead they weep, casting huge drops, on the earth below,

Maybe perhaps in a bid to enhearten the riders.


And lo behold! The riders seem to move faster, higher up,

With each try better than the last.

Pretty soon, the masters of the castles are furious,

Cracking their whips and shouting aloud, and the scene descends into a chaos.


The damsels weep, the knights ride harder, and the masters rage.

The battle rages on, on and on.


I, the observer, watch, drenched in tears of the damsels in the high towers.

I look back, to see the footprints being washed away the path I took is now unseen.

The canvas I now paint on is now clear, a clean slate to start again with.


I get up from the battle field, an eternal on at that.

The battle rages unabated years on end and will do so forever,

But they wipe the slates clean for people like me.

No comments: