Sunday, September 03, 2006

CONFESSIONS OF A KLEPTOMANIAC

Here is just one of my earlier writings.... by earlier ie when i was 13...



God has given me an extra projection in my spinal cord that controls my kleptomaniac actions. These actions is involuntary . Whenever I go anywhere ,my hand involuntary picks up an article and pockets it .I have the tendency to whisk off things for my own but lately my conscience has been stopping me.

I recently subscribed a magazine called “Kleptomania Today ”. Through this I have become aware of many people like me, how their lives differ from mine. This has made it easier for me to accept my “diagnosis”. Mohan Das Klepto, the editor of this magazine, is currently involved with the kleptomaniacs of U.K., making them realize that it is a disease they suffer from and it’s curable. After going through the life stories of kleptomaniacs from all over the world, I too was inspired to confess…to share my own experience with my brothers!!!

So here it goes…I was walking down a street in Missouri when I met him. He was a well to do businessman. I got to know him a lot during the walks after dinner. His name was Akash Patel and he had a huge estate back home in Gujarat. According to him his company’s annual turnover was one crore. It seemed too far fetched but his quiet nature made me believe that.

He had a golden Rolex which was the first thing I noticed about him, though involuntarily. I was surprised at myself…what was going on??? My mind seemed to be working overtime. I could not seem to get it out of my mind all through the day and the nights were torturous too. Even if I did manage to catch a wink or two, I was haunted by the Rolex in my dreams. I had to have it…!!!

Looking for opportunities every now and then, I finally got lucky…It so happened that he had called me to his room (we both were staying in the same hotel) and he received an urgent call. After the call he told me that some urgent work had cropped up and if I could excuse him for a few minutes enough to attend to the work.

The watch was lying on the side table. I was tempted to pick it up but my conscience bade me not to do it. My hand suddenly went to the watch and pocketed it. It happened so fast that I could not react to it. My heartbeat had soared high and even before I could clear my mind and keep the watch back in its place he came back. We went for dinner as planned before and I was being reprimanded by my conscience all through it. I was hoping desperately that he did not realize anything amiss in my behavior.

My stay was over and I was to go back home that night. We met at the coffee shop and promised to stay in touch. My conscience was bothering me and not letting me go back until and unless I returned the watch. I stole back to my room and got the watch. I put it back in his room exactly at the place from where I had taken it.

That night, in the train, when I was going through my handbag for something to read, I realized with horror that my coin collection was missing. I frantically started searching for it. It was the most prized possession of mine.

Later , I realized that when I had shown it to Akash, he was quite hungrily staring at it. With a sinking heart I realized that I had been given a piece of my own medicine.

No comments: